Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Friday, December 18, 2020

VR Bike Riding on Oculus Quest 2 & VZfit Explore

New Fitness App

VZFit Explore

So, I am so excited!  About 3 weeks ago I ordered a cadence sensor on Amazon so I could attach it to my exercise bike and try out a fitness app called VZFit Explore.  The app lets me wear my Oculus Quest 2 headset and explore the world on my exercise bike, and simulates bike rides anywhere that the google car has gone.  It's based on Google Earth and it's very, very cool.

I was going to buy a one year membership myself, but my parents wanted to do something special for me for Christmas and I didn't want them going in stores so I mentioned the app and they got me a subscription for a year.  


First Ride...my home to Belleview Park

For my first ride, I decided to do a ride I do on my regular outside bike...home to Belleview Park, a pretty riverside park across town.  So, I set my address as the start of the ride, and the park as the end of the ride, and the app made my route.  Next thing I knew, I was simultaneously sitting in my living room, and also outside on the street in front of my house, lol. 
My house in VR/VZfit Explore
The next thing I knew, I was happily biking down the street.  Now, it's not perfect, because you can see where one photo merges into another; there's a sort of...blink?  Not sure what to call it, but it's like a glitch in the matrix, lol.  I tried to time my blinking to the apps blinks and soon I barely noticed it.  I was blown away by how much it felt like I was actually riding outside, while riding my exercise bike in the living room.  
The underpass
Next thing I knew I was riding through the underpass and well on my way across town. It was so much fun to see my home town speed by, and I was impressed that the faster I pedaled, the faster my bike went, just like in real life.  I was also able to stop whenever I wanted, and once stopped, I could press the Y or B buttons on my controller and the view would clear up and look amazing.  I took these photos with the Oculus button but there's a way to take them right in the app. I haven't figured it out yet though.
Top of Pine St. Hill heading toward Bay St
The weather changed as I cycled, and when I got tot he top of Pine Street, it was a bright sunny day with blue skies.  
Belleview Park

Once I made it to the park, it was overcast and cloudy, lol.  It was so cool.  I am super excited about th is because I bike ride outside spring, summer, and fall, and miss it a lot in winter.  I hate riding the exercise bike, but now I'm going to enjoy it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment