Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Monday, February 20, 2017

RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery, Pureed Food Stage

I started the puree stage of my diet a few days ago and my  little blender wasn't doing the trick, so I bought this mini chopper at the Walmart.  It was only $24.00 Canadian dollars and I LOVE it!  It has been indispensable for chopping/pureeing meats, eggs, and just about anything else I've tried.

New Chopper

Salton Mug Warmer
I also purchased the Salton Mug Warmer for only $12.99 at Canadian Tire.  I have to sip everything, and it takes ages to eat or drink anything.  The microwave is fine for drinks, but my foods were drying out, and this will work perfectly to keep my meals warm for the hour or more it takes me to eat now.
Various sauces, etc.
 Pureed foods have to be very moist, so I bought a lot of sauces, dressings, etc., to add to my food.  All are no or low sugar, and low calorie.  The no sugar added jams by Live Smart are great.  I add one tbsp to my unsweetened greek yogurt and they make it yummy; a perfect breakfast.

I also bought several tiny containers, that hold about 4 ounces.  That's about the size of my meals,so they're perfect.

Food Chopper
The chopper is a great little tool and takes up hardly any counter space.  The no stick pad on the bottom doubles as a lid, so food can be stored right in the container but I'm allowed such small portions that I usually just spoon it out into my tiny containers, keep one out to eat, label and freeze the rest.
Pureed egg salad
 One of my favorite breakfast or lunch meals is pureed egg salad. Just boil 2 eggs (for two servings), peel, toss in the chopper, add 1 tbsp low fat or fat free miracle whip, 1 tbsp Greek yogurt, a very small dash of salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, and chop on high until it turns into a creamy (and yummy) puree.  When done, I divide it into 2 portions;1 to eat immediately,  lol, and one to save for the next day.  My new pouch (which is what my tiny stomach is called) loves this and it goes down easily.


Pureed egg salad and espresso cup of V8 juice

Items with my hand to show scale
 When you see my hand in the photo, you can see what tiny portions I am eating.  It takes me about an hour to eat the egg salad, and about half an hour or more to drink the juice.  I am full after.

Chili, ready to be pureed
My Dad made chili a few days ago, and was kind enough to make me a small batch without any hot sauce.  The amount you see in the pot above made 6 servings! I ate 2 and froze the rest.  It was very good; I added Greek yogurt and salsa to my serving cups.

On Sunday my Mom made Ribs, and they smelled wonderful.  She left two baby ribs free of sauce for me, and I cut off all of the fat and chopped the meat.  I made my own BBQ sauce using 2 tbsp low sugar ketchup, 2 tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar, 2 tbsp salsa, and 1 tsp of mustard, for kick .  There was enough for two servings and it was my absolute favorite meal so far.

BBQ Ribs

BBQ Ribs

BBQ ribs
They were soooo moist and tasty! 

Today was the first day that I was able to get almost all of my protein in (I need a minimum of 60 grams and was able to get in 55 grams), without resorting to a protein shake

For breakfast I had greek yogurt with 1 tbsp of no sugar added strawberry jam. 
For lunch I had a container of BBQ ribs (to die for).
For supper I had pureed cheeseburger with all the fixings.  One small home made patti, made from lean ground beef, was enough for two servings. I added low sugar ketchup, mustard, relish, low fat miracle whip, and salsa, and pureed it  Then I heated it in the microwave so I could melt a low fat cheese slice over it. Yum.  Sorry, no photo; I was too hungry to look for my camera.

So that is what I am eating on the puree stage.  I've also tried refried beans with yogurt, and cottage cheese.  Both good. I will be on the puree stage until March 2nd, and then can progress to the soft food stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment