Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Oculus Go Art Programs

Art in Virtual Reality

Is So Much Fun!!!!

Seriously fun!

Imagine if you had a magic wand that could reproduce every paint, marker, crayon, pencil...and that you could wave your arms and draw in the air, all around you.

That is EXACTLY what you can do in the Oculus Go, with various paint programs.

Now, I'm not an artist, and the following pictures will clearly show that, lol, but imagine these images not as flat images but as 3D images that you can walk through, walk around, and be a part of.

3D painting in Oculus Go
The painting above...dare I call it that, lol, looks vaguely like a globe...or maybe a tangled ball of yarn.  In the Oculus Go, however, it was a vast dome throbbing with ribbons of color.  It was big enough to walk into, and to stand inside, surrounded by color.  It was huge.  

The ability to draw in the space around me with vibrant colors makes me happy.  It doesn't matter that I don't know how to draw; just being surrounded by ribbons of color set off my dopamine and seretonin and made my brain light up like a Christmas tree, lol.

That painting above was done with an inexpensive (under 5 dollars) program called Paint VR  It is a fantastic program, but a bit hard to learn.  There are tutorials on YouTube but the tutorials don't have commentary and are hard to follow, for me, anyway.  When I get better with this program, I'll make my own simple tutorials.  

I also tried some 2D painting in Virtual reality. It was also fun, but not as fun as painting in 3D.

Trying Cyber Paint in the Oculus Go
The above painting was done in a program called Cyber Paint, in the Oculus Go. I really enjoyed this program and had fun playing with paint effects that made the clouds and water look wavy.  I think this will also be a lot of fun when I learn how to use the program better.

Go Paint on the Oculus Go
I did the above painting on a program called Go Paint on the Oculus Go. It is the most popular art program for the Go, as far as I can tell.  Loads of fun, but again, I need to take some time to learn what I'm doing, lol.

I have two other paint programs to check out; one called VR Canvas, and one that does sculpting in VR.  

I'm having loads of fun and highly recommend trying the Oculus Go along with any one of these paint programs, if you get a chance.  If you only get to try one program, try the Paint VR program because there is nothing like painting in 3D, being totally immersed in the art.

Oculus go only has 3 degrees of freedom, and only 1 controller, so now I'm dying to try the Oculus Quest, with 6 degrees of freedom and 2 controllers. There's an art program called Tilt Brush that looks amazing. I think I am going to save up to get the Quest for my birthday, lol.  Or maybe next Christmas.  The Go is better because there are waaaay more programs and games available for the Go, at much lower prices.  Just my opinion.  If you have loads of money to burn, totally get the Quest...or the Rift :-). 


No comments:

Post a Comment