Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Playing Santa for Shelter Cats

Crocheted Mice for Shelter Cats

Playing Santa for Homeless Cats

Ho Ho Ho!  I felt like Santa on Dec. 23rd as I gave out these crocheted mice toys for all of the shelter cats.

My hamster, checking out the crocheted mice
There are 18 crocheted mice in the photo above, and I made 2 more before I delivered them, and still didn't have enough.  The humane society only had 18 cats on their website, but they had 25 cats in the shelter because they hadn't updated their website.  Some of the cats already had toys, so we made sure that the cats who had no toys got the mice first.

I am deathly allergic to cats, and have severe asthma, so one of the volunteers at the shelter helped me give the mice out so I wouldn't get sick for Christmas.  Cats and smoke are my worst triggers, so I had to go fast but I did manage to get some (unfortunately not great) photos.
Pita and his crocheted mouse

Pita
Pita
Pita loved his mouse.  He is a beautiful orange cat with silky fur, and has been adopted!  Yay Pita!

Brucey

Brucey loved his toy, too.  He played with it right away.
Little Grey Kitens loved their crocheted mice



The little grey kittens were brother and sister.  They each got a crocheted mouse, but the little boy kitten wanted both of them, lol.
Chester
 Chester liked his mouse too, but I couldn't get a good photo of him playing with it because he moved so fast, lol. Chester was adopted; yay!
Vivian


Vivian, a gorgeous tuxedo cat, was also adopted.


I also brought in food treats for the cats, two huge packages.  The humane society was very happy, especially for the mice, and asked if I could make more because they get so many cats and kittens who come in with nothing.  I told them I'd be happy to, and asked how many they'd like, and they said, "As many as you care to make".  LOL.  So I'll be busy in the New Year, too.

I couldn't get more photos of the cats because my allergies and asthma were acting up and I didn't want to have to go to the hospital for a treatment, but all of the cats and kittens seemed very happy with their mice.  Unlike the dogs, they preferred the crocheted mice to the food treats. The dogs liked their toys but were more thrilled to get the edible treats, lol.

The guinea pigs liked their treats too.  Unfortunately, there were 25 rabbits in the shelter that I didn't know about because the humane society isn't great about updating their website (too busy taking care of all of the abandoned animals), or I would have bought more treats for small animals.

The mouse pattern can be found for free on Ravelry. It's called Jerry the Mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment