Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I Bougth the Oculus QUEST

I Am Out of CONTROL

Seriously, I need help, lol.

I love my Oculus Go so much, and I've been using it every day since I got it just after Christmas. I bought it with my Christmas money and my whole family loves it.

That should be enough.  Except when I bought the Go, I also wanted the Quest.  I was afraid of the higher price tag though, and worried that I might get sick in virtual reality.  A lot of people do.

As it turns out, I am fine in virtual reality.  I totally love it.  I'd stay in the headset longer if I could but the Go gets hot depending on the app it's running.

And the Go is wonderful for watching movies and videos and for some games, but it doesn't have 6 degrees of freedom (which means moving in the virtual space exactly like you do in real life).

One of the things I was most excited about was the app called Tilt Brush, which is not available on the Go.

Anyway, long story short(er)…I still wanted the Quest.  I didn't get it because our local Best Buy was out of them.  They fly off the shelves as soon as they come in.  Last night I checked online and noticed they had restocked.  I impulsively reserved one...they give you up to 24 hours to pick them up when you do that.  As soon as I reserved mine, the local store switched to "no longer available".  I'd gotten the last one.

Anyway, this morning I got an email saying it was ready to be picked up and they would hold it for another 12 hours.  So I ran in and got it.


My brand new Oculus Quest
I feel bad because I spent more on myself.  On the way there I tried to justify it by reminding myself that I don't smoke or drink (I had like 5 drinks in the entire year last year, two of them at Christmas, lol).  I don't go to bars. I don't gamble.  I rarely even go to the movies.  I can't travel because I can't leave my parrot.  Almost everything I do is free (walking, swimming, bike riding).  So in that way, it' OK to spend some money on myself.

On the other hand, I felt bad for my Oculus Go.  It's brand new; only a few weeks old and I feel like it's going to be overshadowed by it's sibling.  I told you I need help, lol.

Then again, my parents and relatives LOVE my Go.  They love sitting in a chair and getting transported to new places.  They especially love the travel videos, and the Wander with Friends App, which lets you visit Google Earth, but in 3D.  So it's way better than Google earth on the computer because you're right inside the images and it's fun.  So my Go will still get used.  I like using it in bed to watch videos.  And I'm thinking of bringing it to the seniors home where my aunt lives; I think she'd love to see videos of her home country, Austria.  So it will still get used.

But I'm super excited about the Go. It game bundled with 3 free Star Wars type games, called Vader Immortal.  I'm going to buy Tilt Brush too.

The games for the Quest are much more expensive than the Go, so I probably will still get a lot of use on my Go.  The Go has hundreds of games and apps, and I swear it seems like at least half of them are free.  So there's a lot of content to go through.

OK, I feel better now, lol.  Thanks for listening. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment