Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sculpt 7, Pouty girl in polymer clay


OOAK baby girl in polymer clay
 This is my latest attempt at sculpting, and my biggest baby doll yet (I still have to measure her).
OOAK baby girl, sculpey living baby
 I wanted to make a pouty faced toddler and this is what I came up with.  I made her eyes by hand, and they're a pretty green, but I ended up covering most of the whites as I sculpted.
OOAK pouty baby
 I made a scull for her first, out of tinfoil and polymer clay; baked it, added the eyes, baked it again so the eyes wouldn't move while I sculpted.  I think I'll do it again this way as it's the only way I can make sure the pupils are facing the same way, lol. 
 I ran out of the normal wire that I use to put loops in the limbs so they can be sewn to the body and the wire I used broke as soon as I pulled the sewing thread tight.  I had to saw off the end of all of the limbs and redo them.  I had to open another bar of clay, and even though I used the exact same brand and color, the  new clay was several shades darker so this poor baby has limbs that are darker on all of the ends. 
OOAK baby girl
I tried adding a layer of clay to her head so I could root it and it was a huge disaster.  Not only did the hair look awful, the extra clay distorted her poor head, so I had to use a big wig to cover it up.
 Thankfully, the wig does a great job of returning her head to normal proportions, especially after I trimmed it.  The wig suits her, too.  In my mind, she's about 2 years old.
 Her feet are so cute; these have to be the best feet I've made yet.  I love her little round toes, lol.
Peek a boo!
 Here she is showing off her discolored upper thighs while playing peek a boo, although her diaper (pull ups, lol!) and panties cover most of the worst of it.
 I really am going to have to learn how to sew as I'd like to be able to make some nice doll bodies, and clothes, too.  I love crocheting but it would be nice to be able to make some cute little onesies for the dolls.
All in all, I'm very happy with the way this one turned out.  Now she  just needs a name.

2 comments:

  1. I cant believe she is polymer! I didn't know it could make something so cute! I think she should be called meme. :-)

    ReplyDelete