Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Rose Acrylic Painting

 Rose(s) in Acrylics

Roses in acrylics (left is on watercolor paper, right is on a canvas board)

So, I have been learning how to paint with acrylics...

And I am absolutely loving it.  I followed a tutorial by Aham Art on youtube, and you can find it here: Red Rose

I did these paintings with Monte Marte Acrylic paints.  It's a really nice paint, I think (but keep in mind I have nothing to compare it with other than dollar store paint, which I also like for priming the canvas, lol).

Acrylic paint on dollar store watercolor paper

I did this one (above) first, using my Monte Marte paints and dollar store watercolor paper.  It came out nice but the paint dried much more quickly than I expected so I had a hard time blending the backgrounds.  I got the hang of it better for the rose.  The leaves were my favorite part of this painting. 

Second try, acrylics on canvas board, following tutorial by Aham Art

I decided to try the painting again, this time just looking at the finished product on Aham Art's youtube channel, and my own finished painting. I added more leaves this time as I really loved doing leaves, and opted for a yellowy green background instead of yellow. I sketched the rose out first in pencil.

Red rose, acrylics on canvas board.

I did this as a belated Valentine's day card for my Mom (I was a day late because I also did a diamond painting of cute valentine gnomes for my parents and finished that on Valentine's day.). 

All in all, I'm happy with how this came out, but next time I want to do one without the dark outlines. I think the outlines give it more of a cartoon or comic book effect. I didn't outline the leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment