Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Theft and Possible Covid 19 Exposure

Today was a very bad day

While I was upstairs, and my Mom was in the tub, my 80 year old Dad was outside, gardening.

A young woman, around 19, he thinks, approached him and asked to use the phone.

I've warned my Dad countless times against letting strangers get close due to the covid 19 crisis.  I've told him over and over again that anyone who tries to get close in a time of social distancing is up to no good. But he didn't listen to me.

He's a kind, caring man, and he wanted to help this young woman.  So he went in the house to get her the phone.  She followed him in.  He didn't kick her out. He went into the living room to get the phone.  Then, once she had the phone, she asked for water, so he went to the fridge to get her a bottle of water.

While he was in the living room, or maybe while he was getting the water, she stole his wallet and my purse.  My Dad  didn't notice.

Hours later, my Mom wanted to go for a walk and my Dad couldn't find his wallet.  He asked me if I'd seen it.  I told him it was on the shelf where he always kept it, but he said it wasn't.  I went down to help him look.  I asked if the door had been locked and suggested someone had come in off the street and stolen it.  He said, "Maybe it was that young girl."

My Mom and I immediately said "what girl?" and the story came out.

Dad said she was young, maybe 19 or so, with dark hair, shoulder length or a bit longer, heavy set, and possibly wearing red. He said she was short, maybe 5'2 or 5'3 or so.

I am sick and angry over this. That girl could have exposed my Dad to Corona virus.  My 80 year old Dad.  I'm also angry at him.  No matter how often I warn him, he continues to do things like this.

Last year he gave out his credit card info to a scammer on the phone, even though I told him and Mom to NEVER give out credit card or banking or any personal information, ever.  He won't listen to me.

The police were absolutely no help.  We had to call three times just to give them the report.  The first time we called, we got disconnected when the officer who answered the phone transferred me to another officer.   The second time, I was told officers would come to the house, but not until later as "something was going down".  We waited from around 5 PM until 10 PM and when they still hadn't arrived, called back.  The third officer finally took down our information over the phone. We have to call back tomorrow.

We had to call to cancel our credit and debit cards. We had to call the insurance companies, but none of them were available so we left messages.

My house, cottage, car, and garage keys were in my purse, along with my asthma and antianxiety meds.  My pharmacy is going to replace my asthma meds tomorrow, but I need my doctor to call in the prescription for the antianxiety meds.

We've been doing our best to stay out of stores; only using curbside pickup and delivery, but now both me and my Dad have to go the bank to get new bank cards. I also have to cancel my checks in person because they wouldn't do it over the phone.

I have no idea how we're going to get our health cards, social insurance numbers, drivers licenses, and birth certificates back.

I'd like to kick that girl in the rear end, hard.

If she gave my Dad covid...I can't even...
We're all at risk in this house.  All of us.

I am sick and angry and scared.  She can steal my car at any time.  She can try to get into the house and garage. Hopefully our cottage is safe as she shouldn't know where it is.

I tried to get a locksmith to come out, but due to Covid there aren't any.  So tomorrow we have to order a new lock for the house and garage and my Dad is going to do it himself. He's 80.  I can't afford to get my car lock replaced.  Hopefully, if the car is stolen, the insurance will cover it...but the girl followed my Dad in and he didn't kick her out so they can probably weasel their way out of paying.

She already had used one of the credit cards, at a grocery store, before we cancelled.  My Dad didn't think to ask what time she had used the card so we have to call back tomorrow and find out, then call the police and let them know and they can see if the grocery store has her on camera.

I hope she's caught. If she is, I would like to ask her to get tested for covid.  She had no right to put my Dad, and our whole family, at risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment