Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Walks on Whitefish Island/St. Mary's Island

 St. Mary's Island 

Pretty building at the Sault Canal



Cute Squirrel

Young male mallard, just getting in his colors

sunset

duck floating on the clouds

Moon

I love what I call Whitefish Island, but what is really called St. Mary's Island.

It's confusing because the Island is really made up of two separate Islands, connected by a bridge. You have to cross over one bridge to get to the first Island, which is called St. Mary's.  It's a lovely Island that has lots of trails and a boardwalk that meanders over a beaver pond. It loops over to the St. Mary's River and then back through the bush and fields one way, or to lovely butterfly fields the other way.  If you cross the second bridge, you end up on Whitefish Island, which loops around to the St. Mary's River and has a big boardwalk right along the rapids. It's quite lovely as well. 

Depending on my energy levels and the time of day, I either walk both Islands or opt for just the St. Mary's Island.  In my mind, I call both Island's "Whitefish" because the trail along the is called Attikamek, which is Ojibway for Whitefish. Plus both Islands are in the Whitefish Channel of St. Mary' River.  It's a lovely trail, right in the middle of the city, and I love seeing the wildlife.  

Chickadees are tame enough to eat out of your hand, as are chipmunks and squirrels. In the past, I've even had pigeons, a bluejay, and a woodpecker land on my hand and select peanuts or seeds.  I've seen as many as 15 beavers in the pond.  
Cute chippy

Cute chickadee

Albert feeding the chickadees

Me feeding the chickades



The rapids at sunset

Crane or heron resting on a big rock under the bridge

Bridge reflections 

I love this area; it's so beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment