Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Days 2 and 3 of Low Carb Challenge

I made it to Day 3; woohoo!  Sorry I didn't post Day 2 yesterday, but I had to go for a root canal and I fell asleep early last night.
So, Day 2 called for Pesto chicken casserole with feta cheese & olives.
Pesto Chicken
Here's my version.
I really goofed up this recipe, lol.  It tasted good the first day; absolutely yummy, but I did not like the left overs; I don't like strong flavors too many days in a row and this has very strong flavors.

For one, it called for real cream, whipping cream, and I used table cream. I used half the cream and substituted sour cream for the other half in the hopes of making it thicker, like whipping cream.  I think that probably changed the taste a lot.
 It called for red pesto but I think I used too much of it as it was swimming in pesto.  It called for a LOT of feta cheese, the cubed kind, but I only had the grated kind so I used half mozzarella and half feta.
Seriously, fresh out of the oven, this was to die for.  My Dad had some and loved it; even my Mom tried a bit and said it was "good"; high praise from her as she usually criticizes everything me and Dad make.
The dogs begged for it like mad, lol (I let them taste it).

I had it with a romaine salad, with olive oil and raspberry wine vinegar as dressing.  It needed the salad to counteract the richness.

Day 3, today, was supposed to be Pork chops in red pesto but I didn't want to even think about cooking with red pesto so soon.  Also, I was supposed to have the chicken pesto left overs for lunch, but I still had some burgers left over from day 1 and had that for lunch instead.  I had the chicken pesto for supper again today and it wasn't as good as yesterday.

For a side dish, I made cauliflower rice, and it was AMAZING.  I grated half a cauliflower (the florets only) until it was tiny like grains of rice, and sauteed it in the frying pan, in butter, until some of it was golden brown and some was still white, and wow, to die for.
Cauliflower "rice"

Cauliflower rice and chicken pesto

If you want to try the cauliflower rice recipe, you can watch this video.
I had to grate mine because I don't own a food processor, but if you do, this recipe will literally take only minutes to make and prepare, and it's soooo good.

I have not been hungry at all since I started this on Sunday.  It's only Tuesday, and I am already down almost 5 Ibs.  I'm not officially recording that because my weight does fluctuate.

I also have been going for half hour walks every night.  My asthma was bad last night and I wheezed for most of the walk, but I did it, so that's good. I want to try to walk at least 3-5 times per week, if not every day.

So that's it.  I'm enjoying the challenge, and I'm trying foods I never would have tried otherwise.
My favorite so far has been the cauliflower rice, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment