Welcome to my blog

If you enjoy finding a lot of different outlets for your creativity, then we may just be kindred spirits.
This blog is an outlet for my interest in miniatures, crochet, plastic canvas, and many other various arts and crafts.

I also love walking, taking digital photos, and most recently, have rediscovered an old love...bike riding! I purchased an amazing new bike, a comfy Townie by Electra this summer, and have been having a grand time exploring the area as though for the first time. It's like being a kid again!

If you enjoy any of these things too, pour a cup of coffee and tea, sit down, and join me.


Take care!
Kat

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Self Portrait from a Photo Reference

 Self Portait


Self Portrait using Clip Studio Paint Pro

So today I learned how to import images to use as either tracing practice or references or both.  I chose to quickly trace the lines of my face, hair eyes, and backgrounds to try to learn proportions properly. I'm still not ready to free sketch as my hands are very wobbly and I'm not used to me Veikk VK 1200 tablet yet. 

I wasn't totally happy with the cheek on the first try so I redrew my line art and tried again: 
Self portrait cartoon try 2

I played around with the lasso tool and blurred and changed the hue, saturation, etc. of various spots, then darkened everything. 

Below is the real photo, of me at the beach.  The first one looks more like me.  When I redrew the lines, it took away from "my" look, but it did give me a more cartoony look. 

My reference photo, this is me at the beach at sunset last summer.

I really have to learn how to shade properly. I tried but it just looks like my face is dirty in the photo, lol.

I had fun doing this though, and I'm still learning a lot.  I have to turn myself into a comic somehow. I'm pretty overwhelmed because I don't really know how to make the comic look like me, other than giving it a side pony tail.  Also, I'm not sure which age/weight etc. I should make the comic because the time span I'm using for my stories if over 30 years.  

,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment